View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM

A totally bitchen '80s rush story

Yeah, yeah, I know....I said I'd never do this. But I'm so pathologically excited to have my desktop back I want to type just for the pure joy of typing. Plus I should probably save this for posterity before I become senile.

I rushed at a state school in Pennsylvania with a student population of 6000ish in the mid-1980s. I won't be revealing the names of the groups on here (except the one I end up at which you all know, duh) so if you really really have a burning need to know, PM me when the story's done. There were seven sororities and I will be using the names of beloved 1980s clothing stores. (Some of these may be semi-local but we didn't know that stuff before the intraweb.)

Ups & Downs
Merry Go Round
Susie's Casuals
Foxmoor
County Seat
Ormond
Reunion

I rushed in the fall of my sophomore year. My school had deferred rush so formal rush was in the spring. We had a partially structured rush which worked as follows:

-Meet the Greeks - All rushees visit each sorority for 30 minutes in classrooms in the the oldest and prettiest building on campus. (It may have been less time than that, my DITTO SHEET doesn't say. ) No cuts made after this round.

-Theme Parties - hour-ish each, spread out over a week. Rushees could go to as many or few theme parties as they liked.

-Pref Parties - hour-ish each, spread out over the next week. Rushees had to be invited.

-Bid Day was Friday of the second week.

The theme and pref parties were held in suites, houses, dorm activity rooms or classrooms depending on each group's housing situation. At the time, only two sororities had houses. One group was still in a dorm suite - this was what most of the groups had been doing but the college needed the space and was pushing them out if the opportunity arose. Total on campus at the time was 50.

Some of the other ladies in this story will have the names of the original SEVEN (look it up kids) Facts of Life girls.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-07-2014 at 09:29 PM.