View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ziasha07 Send a message via Yahoo to ziasha07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
I LOVE "Memoirs of a Geisha"! I read it about 3 times now. But the movie was SOOOOOO disappointing to me. Did you see it?

"crush " trilogy probably a little young for my geezerly behind...

And I love my Bible.

Yeah, the movie definetly fell short in my book. I expected more scenes, more eloquent kimonos. They barely skimmed the sections of her life. I know the movie was two hours as it was but I wouldn't have been upset if it was three or three and a half.

"Crush" most definetly. Not sure how old you are but its for the 14-24 ish type crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You should read Geisha, A Life. It's the real biographical story of the woman who spoke to the author of memoirs. She was promised anonymity but he revealed who she was, so she decided to set the story straight. She was basically shunned because she talked to this guy, and he changed things around.

For example, as a geiko (the Kyoto district word for geisha) her virginity was not sold, it was more of a coming out event. Prostitutes had their viriginity sold, but not geisha. They use the same word (mitsuage i think) which means something like "catch," like what a fisherman brings in, but it is not the same thing.
Really? I will definetly have to look into that!
Spring 2009 #5 1000 Words Spring 2010 Beta Class

*Miss Nikon* Colors so vivid, you pose like *click, click*