View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljon525 View Post
Hello everyone,

My fraternity at my school has died so I am trying to expel myself from the roster so I can rush a different house in the Spring. I contacted HQ and requested the disaffiliation form and the person who responded told me that it is extremely rare for them to release someone but he sent me the form anyways and told me to fill it out. On the form, it asks for reasons of why I would like to disaffiliate. If I put my actual reason for wanting to disaffiliate, I know that they will reject it. I was wondering if any of you guys know of a reason that will work?
QFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
What makes you think we'd help you come up with lies to tell to your national org?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
If the other chapters on your campus know that you were initiated into your fraternity, there is a 99.99999% chance that they will not bid you. Most fraternities will not take someone who has already been initiated into another fraternity. Even if your fraternity was closed by your national HQ.
The NIC member fraternities have a uniform condition of eligibility that a candidate must never have been a member of another national college social fraternity. Even if you manage to sneak past that requirement and get initiated anyway under false pretenses, the moment the truth is discovered, both fraternities will expel you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Interesting terminology, but definitely not cool, Jon.

We take things like membership, commitment and initiation really seriously here, no matter what.
This, too.

OP's request is absolutely ridiculous and warrants no further discussion. Thread closed.

Edited to add:

For Jon's benefit, your chapter of AEPi, just like every other chapter of AEPi, is subordinate to, and is chartered by the national AEPi fraternity. Your status as an initiated member is recorded nationally. If you transfer schools, you are still a fully initiated member of AEPi, with all the rights and privileges associated with that membership. In no case could another chapter compel you to repledge and be reinitiated as a condition of affiliating with them. They can, however, take the time to get to know you, and you them, in order to determine whether a mutual fit exists between you and them. If you have genuinely taken the time to get to know the brothers at your new school and established that sense of friendship and brotherhood with them, if they then vote not to accept you as an affiliated member, what does that say about their character? Would you really want to spend time with such people?

Having said that, SAE's pledge manual (or membership manual, now that we don't have pledges anymore) describes three types of members: Brother Hero (the ideal), Brother Nero (as in he who watched Rome burn), and Brother Zero (not remotely dependable). In acknowledging that different types of people end up joining, we have to also acknowledge that any of those different types might petition our chapter to affiliate. Wouldn't it make sense for us to first ascertain what manner of person is applying before accepting them into the chapter? For example, suppose someone basically flunked out of their former school because they couldn't get their priorities straight and transferred schools, I wouldn't want them affiliating with my chapter because we believe in personal responsibility and accountability. So, there might well be valid reasons why a given chapter may not want to admit someone who wants to affiliate.

Regardless of the above, when someone joins SAE (or any NIC fraternity), they have joined for life, not just for as long as it's convenient. As someone who's been out in the working world for a while now and who has previously served as the principal chapter advisor to my original chapter, I can assure you that unless you are applying for a job with AEPi's national headquarters, citing your membership in your fraternity on your resume, no matter how much you achieved, will probably get your resume round-filed due to the prevailing reputation our organizations tend to have. You would be FAR better off affiliating with the academic honor society for the top 25% to 35% of students in your academic major, or in a professional organization directly pertaining to the career you're pursuing. If the loss of your chapter's charter means you have to hang up your AEPi hat until you can become involved again as an alumnus, so be it. Your education and your career are infinitely more important than intrachapter politics.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 01-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.