View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Personally, IMHO, I think that folks should have a minimum community service hours requirement before, during and perpetually for membership. I know that the university I work for is considering a community service hour requirement to graduate...

One way to do it is require attendance to all functions prior to membership. Mentorship with Golden/Diamond members. Allow interests to assist in the planning and implementation of some public programs at the graduate level. Etc.

Not all chapters do that. Most that I have seen in my area, like to look cute... And we are talking GRADUATES/ALUMNI--undergrads are trying to graduate...
I agree that attending planning sessions with the graduate chapter before initiation will give a prospective graduate initiate a realistic idea of the tasks and time needed to accomplish the goals of the chapter, region, and organization as a whole. However, if they have been watching the chapter in the community and are truly connecting with sorors in a proper way to make their interest known, they will have some insight to the time it takes and the variety of programs to coordinate within the chapter.

Unfortunately, I don't think that mandatory community service will help. Those who are already doing community service and who joined their orgs to support their founders' vision are going to continue, whether its required or not. Those are the people who are going to work for their organizations no matter how many other memberships they hold.

There are some people who might become more active if service was mandatory. However, there are several categories of people who will not change their behavior. The fact is that once you get your letters, you can do whatever you want with them. If you want to wear nalia and never serve a day in your life, it's really up to you. I'm not in favor of that, but some people are ok with not going to regionals or knowing who the new President of their org is or what the national programs are. They just want letters and status. And these people will join whatever organization they can to attain that.