View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93

I know that NPHC orgs have different policies concerning Rush, and I can certainly understand that. I have the utmost respect for NPHC organizations, and I'm sure that they handle rushees in a way that is best for them. Please understand and respect the fact that we in the NPC have different policies, and that what works for you may not work for us.
I wouldn't say it's a NPHC policy to state our reasons publicly for denying an applicant. I can say certainly that "I" have never had to provide our reasons for denial to any aspirant, although I have upon occasion if appropriate (grades, units, and other objective criteria). I think one of the main differences between the two rushes are that we don't usually bring in first semester freshman, so we've usually had at least one year to observe an applicant, and to possibly notify them of potential behavior that may prohibit them from receiving an invite. Even this is not obligatory though--some chapters may help out an aspirant they really like to "smooth the edges", while others may never say a word to the aspirant and simply never extend an invitation to the person. Some aspirants may get rejected the first year, work on their issues with assistance from the chapter, reapply and be accepted, and others will never reapply or never be accepted no matter how many times they apply. It really depends on the make-up and tradition of that particular chapter, I suppose.

I doubt very seriously if my organization would ever tell an aspirant they were denied for subjective reasons, because it is simply our prerogative to not accept everyone who applies—it is the basis of a social sorority. There is no need to be ungracious about it either—they simply weren’t a good fit for my sorority, but it has nothing to do with them not being a cool person— I was taught that not all your friends will automatically make good Sorority members anyway.