View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy means different things to different people. Speaking for those I know, most college-aged girls don't care if they are a legacy unless the chapter is one of the "top" chapters on the campus where they are attending. If they are a legacy to a struggling chapter, do you think there will be a bond? Absolutely not.

While I am friends with women who themselves are legacies (or in some cases double-legacies) and they joke about their daughters becoming triple legacies, it all depends on the individual or family.

I'm an acquaintance of a woman who was in one of the top chapters at Ohio State when I was there. While that chapter is still very strong, neither of her daughters even preferenced that sorority. Why? Things change over time and legacy isn't as important to everyone. I just remember when the first daughter pledged, the mother wrote on her FB page, "I told her she could pledge any chapter except ABC". I had to laugh because those two chapters plus the one that the daughters pledged were considered the three strongest at OSU when I was in school, and they were "rivals".