View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And also, if you can't get it done, you can't. There are only so many hours in the day and que sera sera. If this is causing you undue stress, then don't worry about it. Not having some of the recs may impact your outcome, but it may not. If you get cut from half the chapters right away but do really well at the others, who knows? You might do just fine.

The concern some of us have is there are several girls who come on this site who say "I didn't have the grades, I didn't have the recs, I'm a sophomore, but I'm super cute and how dare the best houses cut me and leave me with the horrible houses?" Not that you've said any of that, but it was beginning to sound like you've narrowed your choices already and were making decisions accordingly. Do the best you can to gather as many more as possible before recruitment starts, and then let it go.

Would you let us know how it goes? This might be a good learning lesson for future rushees. You know for which chapters you have recs. You, of course, can't know if you were cut because of recs or age or one of many many other reasons, but maybe you will see a pattern. Or maybe you won't. Still, some of us would find it interesting.
I probably should have worded my original post differently. I was just originally wondering if getting recs from people who don't even personally know me was really of any benefit to me in the process, but I now understand that recs are pretty important even if they are from someone who does not know me personally. I have not narrowed my choices, the sororities I currently have recs for are simply because I know people in them or alumnae of them, though now I know not having a rec will most likely narrow my choices (another thing I was originally wondering if it would really hurt me not having a rec). I am realistic with the circumstances I am in and am working on finding recs for the sororities I don't have them for. The stress I was talking about isn't like major or something I just don't have the support from my parents in choosing to go through rush and there are some other things, like being so late in registering and getting recs, that aren't making the process easy. I will fully explain my circumstances/situation at the end of rush and will let everyone know how the process goes in the end.