View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
Whatever any of you think about hazing the fact remains that if you haze your university will shut you down. Many of you just can't seem to understand that.
I think everyone understands that's a possibility (in some places more than others). Many just choose to ignore the law/university policy where this is concerned.

Hazing hasn't become an issue in recent years due to the morality of it all. I wish I could say our organizations were all so self-conscious regarding such moral issues. Hazing became bad juju because of the liability issues involved with it. That's why when you look at your organization's policy as to what constitutes hazing, you have some odd things there, e.g., scavenger hunts.

Be that as it may, the law is what the law is and our organization's and school's policies are what they are. We follow those rules or we suffer the consequences. If we think attaching a moralistic argument to it helps, so be it, the moral argument does fit and it does make sense within the context of today's culture and today's 'more evolved' state of morality.

As for effective alternatives, if you're part of a national organization, I guarantee that your national organization has developed some sort of national programming which you're probably being encouraged to adopt at the chapter level.

Through (most) national programming, we can provide those same rights of passage, engender that same loyalty, basically work to the same ends without placing the futures of our respective organizations (national and local) in jeopardy.

It's hard to discuss that with any particularity though -- national programming, while similar with some organizations is very dissimilar with others (e.g., Sig Ep).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma