View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Today's over-reaction to "Oh, no, someone might consider that hazing" has significantly contributed to this. Deferred rush can help, by giving initiated women longer to observe character prior to rush activities, but organizations lose money with deferred rush.
Agree. I would also suggest - and I'm not saying this is true of all parents - that because there is such an environment of helicopter parents who will intervene at the drop of a hat for things that they shouldn't (including things that aren't hazing), that this could contribute to initiating in short order after pledging.

There's a reason why "adjustment disorder" is a real thing among many college students and new grads. Some students are so used to their parents doing everything that they struggle to adjust to life without them and expect to have things done for them without any effort. Again, this isn't all students, but it is a reality today.

I think it's sad. I got so much out of my pledgeship and having to earn it made it all the more meaningful.