View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
Good luck with what? OU is going to be slightly better than they were last year barring Peterson stays healthy. One bad turn or tackle on that shredded ankle of his and its going to be major trouble. Noboby knows what Rhett Bomar is going to do either. He was virtually untested last year and pretty much only won the games that OU should have, minus TCU.....which was a joke....and please don't say Oregon was a huge upset because they obviously cared nothing about the Holiday Bowl and pretty much sucked. I couldn't really tell anything good about him in the Texas game because he was flat on his back for most of it.

OU's defense will be good, for sure. Rufus Alexander and Latimer are good for sure at the Linebacker spots and DJ Wolfe is a solid DBack. They are also returning 5 other lettermen. We however, return our full offensive line minus one and 8 other starters on offense. Quan Cosby, Pittman, and Limas Sweed will certainly be one the best wide receivers in college football....which goes along nicely with our 1-2 running back punch of Jamaal Charles and Selvin Young....who have been rated preseason as the best backfield in the country. Our experience line will give Colt McCoy plenty of time to throw. Yes, he lacks experience, but he has a strong arm and got to learn for a year under the most prolific QB in college football history.

Nevermind the fact that our defense returns 7 which includes the full defensive line. Tim Crowder is a lock to be a top 3 draft pick, Henry Melton is replacing Rodrique Wright on the d-line....and allthough he was a consensis all-american....we all saw what Melton did to opposing defenses when he had the ball last year. The guy is a freak of nature. He will go along nicely with Brian Robison and Frank Okam. Michael Griffin is a preseason Nagurski candidate at safety. Two returnig starters at LB, allthough it will be tough to top the level that Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff set last year as the best backfield defenders in the country. Aaron Ross and Terell Brown are both badass CB's. We also have Sergio Kindle, the number 1 LB recruit in the country.

Defensively - Ive got to say we are both about even. Texas has the better line, OU has more experienced LB's.

Offensively - I just don't think OU has the personell besides Peterson....and youre offensive line is absolutely horrible. You lost everyone, face it. One returning wideout who didn't get the ball at all last year. With a good line, things will come easy to Colt McCoy, he has a cannon for an arm and is damn fast, rushed for over 1000 his senior year HS. Yes, Vince Young was a God....is Texas going to run a triple option this year....no.....which is promising becasue many areas of our game have become better even since last season.

I should also point out that we signed 11 Rivals Top 100 recruits. The rest of the Big XII signed 4 combined. To put that into perspective...the SEC signed 20 Top 100 recruits collectively.

Brian Robison meets Rhett Bomar
You make some good arguments, but some of these things remain to be seen. First, the o-line is a HUGE question mark for OU. I still consider July to be a bit early to jump to conclusions as to how good or bad they will be. Kevin Wilson, the new OC might actually whip them into shape. I think Wilson will do a little better than Long as far as playcalling -- I want to see the draw plays out of the shotgun ended -- hate 'em.

As far as the OU O-line is concerned, they also lost a great blocker in J.D. Runnells (Fullback), so we'll see how that shapes up. I agree, they have a lot of work to do before October.

The OU WR corps is one of the better ones out there. Although they are young, they are absolutely loaded with talent. Malcolm Kelly, for example is as good as they come -- not to mention two Tight Ends who run well, block well, and are over 6'6" each.

Saying Texas' d-line is that much better isn't very accurate. I'd say OU's d-line is as good, if not better. Granger, the #1 DT prospect from '04 will be in the rotation for sure, there's Pendleton, and unless he takes the redshirt, we'll see the #1 DT prospect for '05 also in the DT rotation -- Gerald McCoy. At DE, we'll see Birdine back, as well as AhYou. I think that every player on OU's D-line has a good shot at not only playing in the NFL, but going pretty high in the draft.

The secondary will be a strength of OU's this year. I expect great things.

If the O-line starts playing well early, I fully expect to see an OU win over Texas this October.

-- how quickly you forget 5 in a row...
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma