View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say go for it, but do secure as many recs as you can, which is what I'd say regardless of your year in school. When you say your GPA wasn't high enough to rush before--was it not the minimum required to register for recruitment? As a general heads up, the minimum required to register is often far lower than the sorority averages, so if you're still on the low side, you may suffer big cuts right away simply due to GPA. For a rough example, your school's Panhellenic may say you need a 2.5 to rush, but many houses will be looking for a 3.5 as a minimum. My daughter goes to South Carolina and I would say is in a "middle" house as far as their strength in recruiting. They can/do take a couple of Juniors each year, but those Juniors will have high GPAs and activities/etc. Back in my day at Florida, it was the same--we'd take maybe 2-3 Juniors a year, but they needed to be stand-outs. I wish you the best of luck, but I'd strongly encourage you to at least take a look at the houses during Spring Rush--get your name out there as far as showing interest and see if you connect with any of those houses. As someone else posted, they may be the houses you'd have the best shot at, anyway, as they are the lower recruiting houses/in need of making quota.