View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChopeful View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be a freshman at USC this fall (California, not South Carolina), and I'm really torn about rushing. On one hand, I know that I'm going to have a ton of commitments even during my first semester there: my academic schedule is quite heavy, and I already know that I'll have a direct class conflict with Monday night dinners. I'm also planning to be involved with groups that have multiple hour long practices throughout the week, and I really don't want to overwhelm myself by committing to things I can't follow through on.

I don't really know many people in sororities: both my parents are from another country, as is pretty much everyone else I went to school with, and of the 3 girls I know at USC in sororities, none of them are people I'd be friends with. Though I looked up my local alumnae panhellenic website back in March, I never ended up sending their rec information form, and so even if I do decide to rush, I think it's too late to ask for recs from people who don't even know me.

My parents are okay with me joining a sorority if they think it'll actually be beneficial to me, but they (and I) don't want to pay dues for something I'll end up not wanting to be a part of. Though I'm somewhat outgoing and enjoy getting to know people and I'd love to have that instant network of girls who'll have your back, I'm also wary of going through the emotional ride of rush when I know that it might not pay off (I'm also currently growing out a pretty punk-ish haircut and I'm neither white nor Christian, so... yeah).

So should I go on and rush without any recs, should I wait until sophomore year and decide then, or should I just be fine not rushing social greek organizations at all and be confident that I'm not missing out? I apologize if I sound really anxious, I just don't want to ruin college before it even starts and I don't really know how big a deal rushing/not rushing at USC is. Thanks in advance

OP, please wait until sophomore year to rush. College brings stress, and you have already committed yourself to multiple stressors in your first year of collegiate life.