View Single Post
Old 09-29-2001, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My Turn! - Part III

Ok....here's the big finish!

Now, I don't want to make a long story even longer...so I'll summarize. My plans to go to the greek night event ended up taking the backseat. My father called me up the next day to tell me that my mom, who was ill, was taking a turn for the worse. I got very concerned about how it all would turn out. I was afraid that it may not be a good time to commit to a sorority - AOPi or any other for that matter. It was a very tough decision which kept me up all that next night...but I ended up declining the bid. I explained my situation to the Pres and assured her that I was *not* trying to ditch them for another sorority (besides, how could I get away with that?).

It's a good thing I did because things well...got really bad that semester. I'll spare you the depressing details...but my mom passed away a year later. Unfortunately, no one informed me that a bid is good for a year! Doh! I guess that wouldn't have mattered anyway.....

Two years later, in my senior year, I was feeling better. I decided to go to formal rush. I figured that I didn't stand much of a chance 'cause of my senior standing...but I wanted to try anyway. Well, I had an awful Rho Chi; she was not helpful. She forgot to tell me when the first round was and I ended up missing it. When I finally got a hold of her her attitude was, "Welll...you missed a lot. You can still keep going, but they're not going to know who you are." So, I dropped out. Well, I really never started!

Being the persevering person that I am, I had the guts to go to spring COB as a graduating senior! hee hee The only two houses eligible were Sigma Kappa and....Alpha Omicron Pi. I didn't bother with SK and went right to AOPi. I explained the *whole story* to the New Member Educator and she said that it was ok. Seniors rush all the time. I rushed...and was turned down. They said that I was cool and all...but that they didn't want me to have to pay so much money if I was about to graduate.

They offered to help me affiliate as an alumnae initiate but I haven't heard form them since. (I graduated in May). Since then, I've had the hardest time trying to get anyone to help. Well, that and there's more to the story that I'd rather not advertise in public.

I know, I guess my story ended up sadly. Maybe not! Just in the past couple weeks, the AOPi alumnae have been e-mailing me like there's no tomorrow. This is because I e-mailed one of the alumnae from the next town over and said "This is my last ditch effort...can any of you help?" She e-mailed my local alumnae and there ya go. I've now been invited to some of their events.

But wait! There's more! Long story short, a member of Alpha Xi Delta, which does not have a chapter at my alma mater, has been encouraging me to go to *their* events! They seem really interested in affiliating me with their organization. Go figure!

So see...my story is just all twisty and turny! I have NO IDEA what I am going to do! I didn't expect to have to go through a kind of "alumna recruitment!"

I decided to share my story with you all because it is very different than those posted previously. Going through COB is definately something else! I don't know how girls are expected to find the best fit in a whirlwind of rounds like in formal recruitment....let alone a one-shot-deal like what's often found in COB! Furthermore...I'm *still* going through it!

Boy, telling my story makes me feel really excited about the possibilities! I wonder how it will all turn out! (and if you want to know...I guess you ought to visit the Alumni Involvement forum, "Alumna Honor Initiate" thread to find out!).

......Kelly