View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Round #1 – Open House
Round One is split over two days. My first surprise was that there were PNMs on my hall who spent the night with their mothers in their hotel room so their moms could help them get ready in the morning!

My first house was Fern. As I stood outside nervously talking to some girls I was shocked to hear all of this yelling and banging coming from inside the Fern house! I was so surprised! We got off to a great start and I loved the girls that I talked to. Everyone was so excited and bubbly and the time flew by! I couldn’t believe how much energy there was and was excited to see if every house was like this.

My next house was Pippi and it was not at all the same experience. It just seemed sort of flat. I am a legacy at Pippi and didn’t know what to expect, but after the electricity at Fern, this just felt dull. The girl who rushed seemed really nervous and that made me nervous and uncomfortable for both of us. I will definitely give them another look but this wasn’t a great first impression.

The next house was way back up there on the energy meter! The Junies were loud and the girl who rushed me was really talkative and easy to chat with. I talked about all sorts of odd things at this house and they definitely didn’t seem to stick to a script. I did notice that I was stuck in a corner the whole time though so I don’t think they were too excited about me.

Amelia was next and is another house where I am a legacy. The girls were very pretty and sweet. The conversation was super comfortable and almost calm and relaxing. I liked this house a lot!

(Are you getting tired yet? I was….)

Corduroy was next and I was getting sort of tired of all of the smiling and chatting. The girl who rushed me seemed to feel the same way and we laughed about how tiring it is to be so nice! This was a very easy party afterall and I’d love to be invited back here. The girls seemed very laid back and not too wound up in being “perfect”.

Winnie was my next house. I felt like I didn’t fit in here at all. These girls are very, very pretty. They were nice and sweet, but I just didn’t feel like this would be my sort of place at all. It’s not you, it’s me…

My next party was at Ramona (somewhere in this process we took a lunch break I guess). Fatigue was seriously setting in and that early morning start seemed like a long time ago. These girls were nice and there was a lot of fun energy, but I can’t really remember much else.

Ferdinand was my next party and again, I don’t really remember many of the details. The girl who took me around was super bubbly and really seemed to enjoy her sorority and sisters. At one point she helped out another sister who was clearly having a hard time getting a conversation going with her PNM. It wasn’t an official bump, it was more like an assist. I thought that was really sweet and perceptive of her. I liked the Ferdinands even though I was really ready for this day to be over.

The last party of the day was Sal. This was another very polished group of girls. They weren’t all incredibly beautiful, but they all seemed very confident and really good at Rush, if that makes sense. I don’t remember a lot of details from this party and my notes were getting worse and worse as the day went on!

I called my mom that night and she kept telling me to think for myself and not to listen to other girls. That is pretty easy for me and I felt like everything was going well and much,much more fun that I thought it would have been. I was still a little awed by some of the PNMs preparations, but overall was having a blast.