View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
In ancient times when I was an undergrad, the drinking age was 18. I don't seem to recall as many stomach pumping adventures and alcohol poisoning deaths as are presently reported. Freshmen could go to bars and drink, which took the importance off fraternity parties as the only way to drink. I think the laws should revert back to a drinking age of 18.
I hadn't thought of this but it makes complete sense.

And here's another factor: I work in behavioral health, including working with counselors at colleges, and one thing being noted in the field is that students today are binge-drinking as a way to cope with anxiety, depression, and adjustment disorders.

You don't have to work in mental health to know that college students are under much more pressure than previous generations, amplified by the effects of social media ("everyone else has the perfect life" syndrome). This is also why we see something known as "drunkorexia" - students (not just women, but also men) avoid eating before parties/going out because of fear of weight gain, so they drink on an empty stomach and bingo - totally drunk. "Drunkorexia" is not an official DSM (diagnostic manual for mental health), but is a significant trend and issue. And this is amplified by the "skinny worship" trend as well.

College students have always used drugs and alcohol to numb themselves and cope, but not to the degree that college counselors and health centers see today. So yes, a factor of legal drinking age, but also to cope with stress and anxiety.