View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

A few years ago Indiana’s community college system called Ivy Tech (I’m NOT fond of the name!) had millions of dollars poured into it...new buildings, etc. It hurt the larger 4-year schools—IU, Purdue, etc.—but it made sense to the state: Ivy Tech was much cheaper, no libraries, dorms, unions, auditoriums to fund. The state also allowed them to expand to include some 4 year programs, again hurting larger established colleges.

For some time Ivy Tech ran ads showing attractive young high-school age students. One girl said to another: “But they don’t have sororities!” to which the girl replied something like: “it’s still easy to meet new people” while eyeing a cute boy at a nearby table.

In spite of this, and having taught at a community college very early on, I just don’t think many sorority nationals (or internationals) are going to be happy to plant their flag at Possum Crick Community College and have it listed with the likes of century-old chapters at NYU, Berkeley, Stanford, Texas, Ole Miss, etc.

Go ahead—pile on me for being elitist, but I just can’t see it—too many years of rich tradition at seasoned, highly-rated institutions from coast to coast.