View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is why I think it's super important for PNMs to get to KNOW someone in REAL life who is familiar with the system.

GC is a great resource but it should not be your primary source of recruitment info. It's also not the "gospel" concerning recruitment at your school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
From where we stand now, we can look back and say, "Yeah, it would be stupid to listen only to people on a message board." That's part of my point! We were all 18 years old once and had the Internet been around like it is now, we might have fervently believed that these Greek women had all the answers. We do have a lot of answers and we can pretty much all answer general stuff!
One comment on this one... I agree, in principle. However, not all parts of the country (or world ) are filled with Greeks. I was concidentally talking about this offline with someone else today- my parents didn't go to college, I was the first in the extended family to go to a 4 year school, most teachers in my area went to a college without a Greek system, it's just not that big here, etc. I honestly don't know what I would've done had I needed recs, other than contact local Panhellenic association (although I didn't know that even existed at the time). So for most cases we see, yes- GC should be considered a supplemental source rather than the primary. But that isn't possible in every case.

For the OT, though, sorry to hear someone was given poor advice. That's exactly why I generally refrain from giving specific recruitment advice. Rarely will venture into generic common sense stuff, but not much. I trust others on here to have much better insights than I do in that department!