View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiouschick View Post
Throughout high school, I always said I would never join a sorority because I felt like I would never fit in, but I have social anxiety and have trouble reaching out and making friends. I feel like a sorority would be perfect for helping me to really connect with people while doing what I love (serving my community)! I've only just learned about Greek life, and generally I have no clue what to expect. I al TERRIFIED of rush week because I have no idea what to do, especially because my school is so small. I don't know what I should expect going into everything, I don't know what I should wear, and I'm not really sure what a sorority (especially Gamma Phi Beta) is looking for in a girl or how I'm supposed to present myself.

It's perfectly normal to be nervous. You want to make a good impression; but, how do you prepare if you aren't sure what to expect, right? Look, sorority women are women just like you. They, too, went through rush are were also nervous. They understand that you're probably nervous - they want to get to know you and make you feel welcome.

You posted in the Gamma Phi Beta section of the board; but, I strongly urge you to read up on the many great and very helpful threads in the "Sorority Recruitment" section of the board.

You can find it here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/fo...play.php?f=217

Please spend some time reading through threads like:

-- The importance of conversation/personality during recruitment

-- PNM advice: the importance of personal connections in recruitment

-- Rush - What to NOT do or say

-- General Advice

Those topics are "pinned" to the top of the section. Definitely read through them and any of the other great threads in that section!

Quote:
I don't know what I should wear
Like another poster, carnation, said, check to see if the Panhellenic Council, at your school puts out a recruitment guide. They are often found online and you might be able to browse last year's guide if it's on the Greek Life website.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://issuu.com/alexstepahin/docs/...ty_recruitment -- scroll down to see recruitment guides from schools across the nation! Most all will include a "what to wear" section in them. Keep in mind that your school may be more or less formal or may have you wear t-shirts provided to you, etc. That's why we suggest you search for your school's recruitment guide. If you get stuck on an item of clothing or are not sure if you're picking the right shoes to go with a dress, post and ask us! The women here are happy to help offer specific style advice.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what a sorority (especially Gamma Phi Beta) is looking for in a girl or how I'm supposed to present myself.
Truthfully, sorority members can't tell you the specifics of exactly what we are looking for because our membership selection procedures are secret. However, most all sororities, my Gamma Phi Beta included, are looking for well-rounded young women with positive personalities, strong academics, desire to serve others, well-groomed, well-spoken, etc, etc. Where I think a lot of rushees get stuck is they wonder what "Alpha Alpha" or "Beta Beta Beta" sororities specifically want. We don't know and it's a futile effort to try and figure it out so that you can "be that" during rush.

Don't try to be someone you're not. Just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may. What if "Beta Beta Beta" at your school is a bunch of party girls and you don't fit in? What if "Alpha Alpha" is all athletes and you're the kind of person who would trip over your own feet? Forcing yourself to act like someone you're not in order to impress them just doesn't work out well. Be yourself!

Others on Greekchat have given this great advice in the past - be the kind of person someone else would want to be friends with. It's really that simple.

Quote:
Because my school is so small, should I send in a recommendation letter or resume? Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't want to call, email, or get in touch with anyone unless I can't get any information here.
We don't know where you attend school and so it's tough to say if recs are super important or not. Usually with smaller schools they aren't that important; but, you never know. To be clear, a recommendation is when a sorority active or alumna member write a letter of support on your behalf. The member will mail it in. You do not send in your own resume or rec directly to the chapter at the school at which you are rushing.

Basic advice for where to find sorority women who will write you a recommendation is found here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=243958

Quote:
Also, what's the deal with social media during rush? Do I have to totally deactivate my account, am I just not allowed to use it, or will I only have to log out/delete the app?
The cautions behind social media during rush are recommendations to not post unflattering or controversial things. You wouldn't want sorority women to check out your Facebook/Insta/etc to get to know you only to see pictures of you streaking across campus, drunk at a party, or blathering on argumentatively about every controversial topic in the book. This doesn't mean that you can't use social media or that you need to deactivate your accounts, just don't post unflattering things and maybe even go back through your feed and delete anything you wouldn't want others to see. In fact, social media can be a great tool for posting positive representations of all of your best qualities (you like to travel, you like to volunteer, you love your friends and family, etc).

(Note: instead of not posting pictures of you getting drunk or running naked on campus, how 'bout you just not do those things? LOL)

One final word of advice, if you are not good in social situations, now is a good time to start practicing small talk and conversations with strangers. Try striking up a conversation with a customer at work, chat with the person behind you in line at the grocery store, smile warmly at the lady in the bank, and so on.

I hope this helps!

True and Constant