Thread: Yale lawsuit
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I absolutely fail to believe that there were no other places to party other than at fraternity houses for the first months of school. Don’t they have housing that includes all classes? Why not ask an upperclassman about alternatives?
I "sort of" get this. Having worked in New Haven, I can tell you that there is a very high crime rate - not so much in the immediate area of the Yale campus and town green, but go just a couple of blocks away and you're liable to be mugged, or worse. If you're unfamiliar with New Haven, and you're new to campus and haven't made a lot of friends yet, you might very well think that the only "safe" place to party is at a fraternity house near campus.

Then again, like you said, these freshmen most likely are living in dorms, so why not grab your roommates or the folks down the hall and go out for dinner or something? Obviously the freshmen wouldn't be able to get into bars, and I know nothing of the club scene in NH, but there are some pretty good restaurants near campus. Or find a TV show that a lot of people like, and host watch parties. If social activities other than fraternity parties "don't exist", take the initiative!

And if you look at the situation at Harvard, as I understand it, many of the men's groups (fraternities and finals clubs) are still men-only. It was the sororities that went coed or disbanded. If this lawsuit goes through, that very well might happen at Yale.