View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts:

1) Make sure she doesn't think her legacy status means anything because with so many legacies rushing at a competitive school, it doesn't. I've seen many girls think it will get them a bid. It doesn't always, not even for chapter legacies (and many chapters at super competitive schools don't consider non-chapter legacies with quite the same regard as chapter legacies).

2) Brush up on her conversational skills - there are girls who are a bit quiet, albeit wonderful people, but who don't know how to carry a good conversation that will make them memorable in a good way; you don't have to be outgoing to connect, but you can't be too quiet. And if she's a talker, make sure she doesn't hog the conversation. Look to genuinely connect, not just chat.

3) I suspect UGA is a very competitive rush, as many SEC schools are, so everything will need to be polished - her outfits/style (true to herself, but in line with current trends for rush), her resume, recs, etc. Every little thing counts at a competitive school.

4) And lastly, be open to every single house. Many girls get stuck on one or two houses and then are devastated when they're dropped. One never knows where they might fit and sometimes it's a surprise!

5) And to every mom I know whose daughter is rushing - try to relax and simply support your daughter in finding her way. You've already been down this path once so that should help. Daughters benefit the most when a mom is gently supportive and reassuring, no matter what happens. And her sister should make it known that she's fine with whatever sorority she pledges since sometimes legacies feel pressure to join the same house.

Last edited by NYCMS; 05-20-2018 at 09:18 PM.