View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Round Three: House Tours

I opened my schedule today and was a little disappointed to see only four houses. Two of my roommates and a few other girls in my hall had all six houses, but those tended to be the local girls who went to high school in the area or in the big city an hour away - but I honestly had no room to complain, because my other roommate and many other women in the hall had one or two houses left, and they tended to be the houses that had trouble recruiting (one house that had only been on campus for about five years and another that joined much later than the vast majority of houses). A lot of people dropped out today, both before and after parties. I felt okay about having four events, especially because I still liked all of the ones that I had left at least a little bit, if not a lot:

Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Colombia
Venezuela

No Mexico and no Uruguay, which bummed me out. I had developed such a crush on both of them, and I remember just looking at my schedule and thinking “I will never be a Uruguay” and walking past Mexico on the way to parties sadly. But I still had houses on my list, so my moping had to end and I had to refocus on the women who wanted ME.
Today was house tours, which was just so darn cool. I still think that sorority houses are some of the most interesting things - just looking at various pictures of where women have some of the best years of their lives and how beautifully they’re all designed is something that totally gives me the feels.

Dominican Republic was good today - they had kind of been middle of the pack all week but I met some girls that were more relatable today. I had a girl give me a house tour and then I got bumped to go to a different floor by her big and they had the cutest hug and were just so happy to be in each other’s company. It was super adorable. Other than that, nothing really stood out, but I liked that there weren’t any cold dorms. (Ah, the young innocent freshman mind had still not softened to the idea after hearing plenty of women say it was nice). I hadn’t really clicked with anyone at this house yet.

Ecuador - the lovefest continued. Their house was one of the biggest on campus, no cold dorms, big (okay, huge) rooms and newly remodeled bathrooms, and still just the most classy and genuine women. I wanted to be just like their seniors by the time I graduated college. The girl who gave me a house tour was one of the girls I talked to on the first day and she was showering me with compliments and seemed soooo excited to see me again. I totally wanted to have Ecuador back for pref.

Colombia - After two perfect days here, I couldn’t have been more excited to come back...but the girl I was paired with just didn’t connect with me at all. She seemed tired, cranky, and just not super enthusiastic. This house is an older one and because of that, they are a little cramped. They have some cold dorms and some small bedrooms and it was so hard to see it all because there were so many bodies in such little space. I left feeling weird today, because the girl seemed so disinterested and didn’t connect with me at all...but still wanted to go back for preference because of how passionate I had felt about Colombia the first two days.

Venezuela - I felt more and more at home here as the week went on. They had lots of gorgeous dark wood and the house seemed so airy and roomy. The girls were so welcoming and friendly but definitely seemed so cool and I wasn’t sure that they liked me as much as I liked them. My roommates and I had discovered that my recruitment counselor was a Venezuela after looking at the chapter’s Instagram page - she was all over it! We all loved her and she was such a positive, uplifting, and level-headed presence for our whole group - which was great, because about half of the group decided not to go through preference round. I decided I would rank the houses like this:

1s: Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela
2: Dominican Republic

I was so worn out from a long, hot week - I was just ready for Bid Day! And I was less excited about wearing heels the next day for Pref.

Any guesses as to where I ended up?