View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

The year I attended Grambling State University, 89-90, I met a wonderful young lady named Veronica Adams, who was the SGA (student government) president at the time. The day I met her, was registration day and I had to get to the other side of the campus from my dorm.(for any of you GSU survivors, I lived in Jones the 1st semester-yuck!)

I looked lost and she directed me to the gym. She told me if I needed anything to contact her and that she was the SGA president and could be reached anytime. Cool! I later found out that Veronica was also the president of the GSU chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority.

Later in the school year, the greeks had their smokers and teas (rush parties). Since I had transferred in from another school, I did not have the required 30 resident units and I lost some units in transferring to GSU so I became a froshy ( ) and I was not eligible to join but I did attend rush. The only “social” orgs on campus were six of the Great Eight ( IPhiTheta wasn’t in NPHC yet). I attended 3 rushes and learned everything I could about the groups. And although I was not able to rush, the SGRho ladies kept in touch with me and invited me to events with them for the rest of the school year. They really left a lasting impression with me.

I returned home to Cali at the end of the year and focused on school and getting my life together. When I was finally ready so many years later, I rushed and was accepted into my sorority. It was a long road but well worth the wait.

Besides all of the great things that my sorority does and participates in, Veronica Adams was one of the main reasons I wanted to become a member. The kindness and friendliness she extended to me during that year really touched me. I hope to see her one day soon to thank her(and to call her Soror)

The programs, community service, social outlets that NPHC's participate in were things and events I wanted to be a part of. I saw how active the grad members were and how much positive influence they had/have in the greater community.(church, school, etc..) I also saw how much fun the undergrads were having but I saw the long term benefits and not only how membership could help me but how my membership could help my respective sorority.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 04-06-2005 at 09:06 PM.