View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so do I understand correctly that the organization you are currently referencing has alumnae associations and alumnae chapters and only the alumnae chapter can sponsor an initiate? In this case, my original answer remains the same - the women at the alumnae association should be handling the logistics for you on contacting their sisters at the nearest alumnae chapter to help put you through.

Does a sponsor have to live near you? Not necessarily - but it depends on the sorority. I am an alumnae initiate and my big sister lives on the other side of the country. Though, she and I were known to each other before she approached me and asked me if I would consider Gamma Phi Beta. So, it's not as if I randomly put out ads looking for any sister in the U.S. who would sponsor me.

Also, there is at least one sorority that I know of that allows their alumnae chapter to directly perform the initiation ritual for an AI. However, most sororities appear to require that the candidate be sponsored by the alumnae chapter, but initiated into a collegiate chapter (which performs the ritual). Again, your sponsors should be navigating this with you or for you.

I am curious about the statement you made at the beginning when you said you wanted to see if you are "...compatible with the kinds of individuals in my sorority of choice". So, you have one particular sorority in mind already? Is it the same one which has already indicated a positive interest?

I agree, too, that it may be better to wait until you move to the U.S. as alumna initiation can take quite some time and having to switch from one alumnae chapter to another, etc, might be too awkward.

Finally, I would caution you a little bit about leading on too many sororities on at one time. If one is currently interested in considering you for AI, please don't string them along while you consider other options. If someone has actually extended you an invitation to membership, please accept or decline ASAP.

True and Constant