View Single Post
Old 04-25-2001, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
My paper is not about judging, criticizing, or anything negative. It is about understanding and discovery of environment, which college students live in.
First of all, its AXO Alum (as in Alpha Chi Omega)...that being said...thanks for the comment about negativity. I actually can appreciate the fact that it was recognized for what it was. Here is a direct quote from your original post:

Do you think hazing and initiation rituals are unifying or segregating?

You didn't even bother with asking about hazing -- you just ASSumed that we do - and we don't...not to mention that its kind of strange to ask about hazing rituals -what is that supposed to mean? We don't haze and its wrong to assume we do.

Then you say "know anyone's dirty secrets or anything like that" -- again -- accusing us of having dirty secrets to hide won't win you any friends on here!

I won't even START with talking about getting a life - if my life includes coming on here and chatting with my greek and non-greek participating *friends* so be it. Funny - there is another *person* on here who always starts *innocent* posts and then freaks out telling people to get a life....but like I said - I won't start on that road.

If you *REALLY* are interested in what greeks are doing to improve campus life, and the lives of their sisters and brothers, take a walk on any college campus and ask someone wearing letters. Look in the phone book for the Greek Life office and call them. Set up an appointment with any chapter (just ask for a list from Greek Life and then call them and ask if you could come talk to them for a few minutes during one of their meetings), etc...they will be more than happy to talk with you about the positive things they are doing. No, you won't hear about hazing or drugs or exclusiveness or ritual or anything else that we are constantly plagued with due to the stereotypes. If you want that I suggest you rent the *critically* acclaimed "Dying To Belong" with that Sixx girl from Blossom. Woo-hoo -- stereotypical to the core. Of course Animal House is always a favorite too.

But if you really want TRUE and HONEST answers about being greek and what it means, then ask someone face-to-face. Have a real interview. That is how you can learn while doing your research (which, I believe is the point of doing a project)...oh, and by the way, I finished my grad degree last year -- I would have never gotten through my program if I presented my prof with a list of internet chat room conversations for my research. You need to talk face-to-face with people that you can document and who won't *disappoint* you because they didn't give you the answers you wanted.

*Apology* accepted.