View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I have also "heard" the 10% number in the past. I have no idea if it is true or skewed.
My recollection is that 33girl is right in saying that the 10% figure, at least as often stated in public discourse, originated with the Kinsey Report, which is not accepted as accurate these days given the methodology of data collection. And I think that is where the "10" in "Lambda 10" comes from, although I have no reason to think that Lambda 10 is not a responsible advocacy group.

dznat187, except for one particular poster who, I think it is safe to say, does not represent the views of the typical college student of today, I don't think anyone is saying that homophobia (as much as I think that word is overused and misused) doesn't exist in the Greek world. That one poster should simply be ignored in a discussion like this one.

Concerns by some that programs might not be well-received doesn't necessarily = denial of homophobia. Perhaps it's a bad analogy, but here you go: I know that sexual harassment, gender or sexual orientation discrimination, and the like are problems in many, many offices and I think those things need to disappear from the work place. But I absolutely dread having to sit through a "sensitivity" class on those topics, if for no other reason than they are usually boring, they inevitably come across as preachy and politically correct, and, as far as I can see, they accomplish little except to make the participants resent the time they feel like they have "wasted" while the presenters feel like "good has been done here." Just my take.

As for resources, have you read Out on Fraternity Row: Personal Accounts of Being Gay in a College Fraternity, published by Lambda 10?