View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It was kind of rhetorical - but you're right, it's against most organization's policies.

I was trying to make the point that our classification of "scavenger hunt = hazing" has not necessarily improved our ability to combat hazing; it may simple force chapters not to talk about their scavenger hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
So that's a loaded as hell question. There are three opinions which matter. 1) your organization; 2) your state and local law enforcement and should something go awry, 3) the FIPG.

Is it hazing if as part of the scavenger hunt, I require you to bring me the charter off of the wall of some sorority house? Probably so since that scavenger hunt is asking you to commit burglary and larceny. If I'm asking you to take a picture of the place the original chapter house stood twenty years ago? Probably not if you're asking state and local law enforcement.

If you're asking the FIPG, which is likely your chapter's liability insurance carrier, hazing is defined as:

So if the FIPG includes scavenger hunts as against policy, then it's very likely against your organization's policy as well and thus, hazing in the opinions of one of the three groups which matter.
Instagram
FraternityMan.com