View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by empopower View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Emily - I am a Delta Gamma.
Throughout the past year my sorority has experienced a level of seperation between our freshmen class and the classes above. The freshmen feel that we are not inviting, have cliques, don't like them...etc. I know we probably all felt this way as a freshmen - its hard to get to know the women when it appears that they already have an established group of friends. I think we also know that as upper classmen it can sometimes be too much work to personally make all the underclassmen feel welcome.
This year we really want to impliment some ideas that would get the freshmen girls bonded with our upper classmen from the get-go.
Does anyone have any good bonding activities we could use on Bid day? I want them to feel connected with the initiated members on a deep level, but without making it too intimate or emotional - it seems a little too early for that.

Pleaseeeee, if you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
There are many resources for bonding activities. Let me google that for you:

http://tinyurl.com/34meyjj

You can also look at the bottom of the page here for suggestions, or use the search button at the top of the page, for ice-breaker type bid day activities (there are a lot of good suggestions in previous threads).

And just to show that I'm not completely snarky, there's something that I really enjoyed as a pledge/new member. Each week, pair up a new member/freshman with another member/upperclassman. Have "Buddy Day", where the two buddies do something together - anything. Eat lunch, have coffee, take a walk, work out, go shopping - it doesn't matter what the activity is, as long as they hang out. Change "partners" each week so that newer girls get some quality time with different sisters. (You can do during the new member period or even during the non-recruitment semester.)

Another way to mix things up is to involve new members/freshman in committees. It's a great chance to work with a cross-section of members, from new to "older".