View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I am a member of Online Kappa, but I first joined Beta Sigma Phi back in 2002 when I lived in Massachusetts. I joined OLK in 2003.

1. There isn't anything very significant about the cookbooks. It is just a fun tradition that was more active in the past. I don't think there has been a new one for quite a while.

2. I joined Beta Sigma Phi, in part, because I thought I had missed out on a sorority experience as an undergraduate, and I was really excited to see an organization with all the fun, community service, and traditions of a "college sorority" without any age limits or educational requirements. (I was a grad student at the time.) Once I started exploring Beta Sigma Phi, I saw that there were many aspects of the organization that fit well with me and my interests. I worked to establish a new chapter in western Mass, and that was so much fun!

3. There are chapters that are super active and others that are not! Officially, a chapter should meet twice per month in the fall, winter, and spring, OR they could meet once per month year round. Among the online chapters, there are different formats and levels of activity. Online Kappa operates very much like a regular, land chapter. We meet monthly with an education program and a social. We take new pledges and conduct traditional rituals (degree progressions). For me, it is a perfect fit, and I love my membership in OLK! I have held a variety of offices and chair positions, and in 2022, we organized the first EVER online convention! Some online chapters do not follow the formal structure of Beta Sigma Phi, and they work more like a chat group. There is even one chapter that is a "travel group." They make plans to go on fun trips together! It's good to search around and find something that meets your needs.

I hope you will stay in touch!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient