Thread: "Forced" prefs?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Random, are there still schools doing 3 party prefs. Since I've been working with chapters (like 2009ish) I've seen a lot of their Panhellenics moving toward 2 party prefs.

The rationale for the switch is that when you have 3, there is usually one you like the best, another you kind of like, and a 3rd that you're not very interested in at all but are going because it's on your schedule and you're required to, not realizing that there's a very real chance you could get a bid to your #3 because you preffed them. So you get a bid to your 3rd choice and drop out.

Only preffing 2 eliminates that awkward 3rd choice issue.

I've found that there's a downside to it though. In many cases you have to go from 4 parties to 2 instead of 4 to 3. Choosing a top 2 and bottom 2 from 4 is not always easy.

Interestingly enough University of Oregon went up to three prefs this year or last year, I believe. We had added a third round for chapters three years ago, but have added two more chapters since then and went to three prefs because of the expansion.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot