Thread: Ghetto Funerals
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
I have one...

My mother's oldest brother died several years ago. He was not married and had no children. He was basically a recluse after he stopped working.

As some of you know at country funerals they have people get up and give "rememberances of the decesed" (three minutes please). Anyway, I think one of his old drinking buddies got up and said something and a member or 2 from my grandmother's church basically taking about the family. Remember the man had no friends and only left the house to take my grandmother to the store or something.

Finally this lady that no one knew gets up and starts talking about what a good family man he was and how he loved his children and wife and what a man of God he was (he had not been to a church since my Grandfather died about 25 years earlier!). She just went on and on. My mother and one of my aunts was in front of me and I could see their shoulders shaking and my aunt started crying and choking, trying not to laugh. One of the ushers thought she was over come with emotions, so they came over to fan her, which made my mother laugh even more.

The minister final had to get up and say amen a couple of times to get her to sit down and shut up.

We thought the woman was at the wrong funeral, but one of my great aunts said she was a professional funeral go-er and would always try to say something, even if she did not know the person!
That woman just reminded me of Weeping Wanda from Good Times. She went to EVERYONE'S funeral, whether she knew the deceased person or not, lol.

Tld221 - those are hood funerals for real.

I don't have any ghetto funeral stories to tell. The ones I've attended have been your standard ones. No drama.