View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizey7 View Post
When asked why I want to join the sorority, could I say something like this?:

I see a lot of great leadership opportunities that can come from being in a sorority. Additionally, I really admire and aspire to be a part of a strong sisterly bond like yours.

If these are not good or need to be improved in any way, please let me know with examples.
You can find leadership opportunities in all campus organizations so I think this and the other statement both sound generic.

If I were talking to you in person and asked you why you want to be part of a sorority, what would you say? I suspect you'd say something personal which then communicates real-ness.

For me it had to do with seeing the lasting friendships and fun that my aunt has had from being in a sorority and hearing her stories of when she was an active (and even as an alum) - I wanted that. I was able to say something like that - without disclosing her sorority - when I rushed and then that often opened the door to an active saying "oh my aunt (or mom or sister) was in a sorority too which is why I wanted to be part of one too." You gotta make it real, even though what I said could be generic, it was authentic since it was about my aunt and her influence on me to go through rush.

Last edited by NYCMS; 07-06-2018 at 05:24 PM.