View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brownsugakdphi
Let me begin first by stating my intentions... I am not intending to offend anyone, but instead trying to share my feelings about the issues already discussed on this forum. I encourage anyone and everyone to share their feelings as well, and welcome and comments, questions, or suggestions. Also, I am in no way providing as a spokeswoman for my organization...

My responses are directed to issues regarding my sorority and the use of our letters, alpha Kappa Delta Phi. First and foremost, we are not using nor wearing anyone else's letters as said in previous posts. As I've mentioned earlier, we do have "alpha" embroidered and added onto our paraphanelia, and at no point do we recognize ourselves as sisters of Kappa Delta Phi. Furthermore, our use of the nickname KDPhi, is not an issue exclusive to our particular organization. Many other organizations use similar nicknames (i.e. "Beta") to refer to themselves, yet it is understood that these organizations are dissimilar in makeup and orientation. For an individual to argue that we can not use a nickname similar to theirs is absurd and creating unneccessary conflict.
In addition, my sisters and I have worked for our letters and have the right to wear our letters. We are not wearing any other letters except our own, and because of our sacrifices, love, and sisterhood we should have the right to wear our own letters without the risk of someone getting offended. Yes, our letters are dissimilar to another organizations by the use of one letter, but that is something common in the Greek World. You have Alpha Phi and Alpha Phi Omega, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Pi. You don't see these organizations going at it because of a single letter difference, and so I ask why now and why us?
Also, it was mentioned that these other organizations fear a member of my organization misrepresenting our organization and effectively misrepresenting their own. If a member of my organization misrepresents our organization, it is an insult to my organization, and it will be effectively handled by my organization. I wouldn't expect others to get offended because of this, because this issue has nothing to do with them. Likwise I wouldn't get involved in other organization's businesses becaus it's not my own. If a Kappa Zeta Phi misrepresents her organization, none of my members would come running because (1) it isn't our business, (2) we have faith that KZPhi can effectively remedy the situation and (3) we have better things to worry about.

Lastly, KappaTarzan to point something out, aren't you wearing someone else's letters, namely a fraternity's? You've said that the letters are theirs, except for adding a little NAS for distinction. It seems like a similar situation, but maybe I'm completely wrong. That could be the case because I don't know much about your organization. Similarily, you could be making the same kind of wrong assumptions because of your lack of knowledge of my organization. I would just ask that in the future, before you acknowledge such conclusions, that you ask questions before you assume such things.

I'll just end this message with a little quote, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" (I probably wrote this wrong), but it proves my point. Regardless of the letters we wear, my organization would still strive for certain things and still maintain the high qualities of excellence that we observe, so there seems to be no real need to change something that makes no difference...

Just some thoughts,
In Eternal Love and Friendship,
Brown Suga