View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

My school (small school in Georgia) just recently had an NPC initiate its first black sisters. Last fall Alpha Gamma Delta initiated 2 black sisters and a third earlier this semester. One of the fall girls happens to be one of my very best friends. Yes, in 2003, they are the first black NPC members at Mercer. Unfortunately that is how the South is, and I wish I could change it singlehandedly. My friend and I have talked about it before and what I hate is that she was on the receiving end of a lot of crap for pledging an NPC. It was just something different and people dont respond well to that. But she went where her heart told her to go, and what she and the other 2 girls have done is really important for Greek Life at my school and Greek Life in general. Most importantly, they didn't let race stand in the way of what they wanted even though it was "taboo." The strange thing was, the opposition she got was not from other Greeks (IFC, NPC, or NPHC) but from non Greeks. As a Greek community we were all excited about the change that was made. Ok, it is late and I am rambling, but I hope you can weed out what I am trying to say, that as slow as it is going, progress is being made!