View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in a similar situation last fall when I accepted my bid. I would really encourage you to stick it out and go to all the events you can and to make every effort to get to know your sisters - this means more than inviting them to go out with you. It's eating lunch or dinner with them, grabbing coffee with them, or just spending time studying or hanging out around the house (if your campus has fraternity and sorority houses, that is). If you aren't willing to make this commitment (or are unable to because of other commitments), then drop. I do not know one single girl who accepted a bid with me at my house or any other who automatically clicked with everyone in their sorority. It takes time and effort, and honestly, if you only joined a sorority because you thought it would allow you to meet hot guys and go to the best parties, you didn't choose Greek life for the right reasons. At least on my campus, you can go to any parties you want to at the fraternities if you're a girl. You don't need letters to do that.

Being in a sorority is like starting a new school - you don't make friends instantly and you may not like everyone you meet. The point is that you have to try and find the girls like you. I promise that there's someone you'll get along with - you just need to try and be around more if you want to find them. Like I said before, though, if you just don't have enough time for it you should drop. There's no point in being in a sorority if you're not going to go to the functions or get to know your sisters.

Basically, I know how you feel right now. I'm in what most people would call a "lower tier" sorority on my campus (although I hate ranking), but I made an effort and I've really come to love it. Like everyone else has said, you can either make the effort or you can drop. I'm sorry that no one told you that you can't ever join another org, but it is what it is, so you should make the best of it if you really think Greek life's for you.