View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Easter dinner was really good! We drove to Norfolk to have dinner with Mom, Dad, Uncle P and Aunt R, Bro and his girlfriend, Sis and a guy she is dating, and self with the 1L I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. The great thing about the "aged relatives" is that they are fun to talk with and flatly refuse to be sedate old farts. They are great hell raisers and all out do each other making conversation both fun and interesting. Our friends actually angle for invitations to dinner cuz they like Dad's stories not to mention his bar and wine collection. Dad wants everyone to "sing for their supper" so we all come armed with a good joke, an engaging story, or an interesting topic for conversation.
Anyway, my date made a terrine of vennison, boar, and bacon that was fantastic. That was our appetizer served on toast points. I did the artichokes with tarragon mayo as a dipping sauce, John showed up with fresh oysters which he shucked and served on the half shell, and Sis made up a pot of Gumbo for the soup. Dad slow baked a treacle cured ham, Mom did a standing rib roast with oven baked onions and pan roasted potatoes, parsnips, and carrots, and Aunt and Uncle brought over a tray of grilled asparagus seasoned with garlic and creole seasoning brushed with olive oil. Dad poured cocktails before dinner and Uncle P provided two bottles of Pavillion Blanc and four bottles of Chateau LaLagune. John and I jointly brought a bottle of Taylor Fladgate vintage 1984 port for the stilton and brie, and Dad broke out a magnum of Ruinart champagne to go with the strawberries and blueberries with cream for dessert.
Thank God there are no classes scheduled today. No way I could drive back after that feast.
We talked until nearly 2;30 AM and then crashed. Dad's house is Victorian and has plenty of room so...
John and I are waiting for our dates to get ready for lunch (very light please) and then its back to campus this afternoon.
What a feast!