View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
Greekchatters who have experience with NPC colonizations, would a combined group like this be a plus or a red flag?
I think this depends on the campus. For someplace like Ole Miss, they really don't need it. For a place where the percentage of "always joiners" is miniscule and "maybe joiners" not too much larger, taking in women who have already shown a commitment to the Greek system AND been accepted by the college Greek community is a positive. I don't think it should always be assumed that local traditions = hazing, because I honestly don't think that is the case most of the time. But at the same time, an NPC shouldn't pull a bait and switch just to get a colony. Don't say "oh, we'll take all your current members no question, we'll AI all your alumnae and give them advisory roles, we'll let you keep your big/little tradition" - and then the colony director comes in and does NONE of that, tells them everything is XYZ from here on in. If that's the way it's going to be, be straight up with the group and let them talk it out and deal with it internally rather than causing a conflict like AA described. It's in a group being absorbed's best interest to get all this in writing - from the individual groups AND from Panhellenic.

And if it turns out that ABC is picking up colonies left and right because they're a little more open-minded about things than XYZ or PQR, well then, that's something for XYZ and PQR to think about.