View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
As I read the explanation here, it sounds like quota is set independant of the number of women going through recruitment because it is based upon equalizing Total. That could lead to an extremely competitive recruitment as the women know that there are (hypotheticallY) 500 new member slots with 700 women competing for them. How is that better? Sure, total can be increased but not in the middle of recruitment. In the meantime, some quality women would be totally shut out. I don't agree with the assertion that taking a woman at the "bottom of the list" is "settling". Someone who is the bottom of the list for ABC might be top of the list for XYZ, That is mutual selection.

The current quota/total system is set up to make sure there IS an opportunity for every woman who goes through the entire recruitment process. It might not be her top choice, and that is an issue that the new release figure programs are intended to address.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but I see this system punishing the groups who have good retention. If you have a large number of broken pledges or resignations, you then get a bigger new member class the next year. I don't see that having a new member class of 28 when others have 50 is an advantage. The idea that they have "better sisterhood" is not a function of chapter size but rather how the chapter is organized. The group with good retention doesn't have good retention because they have a smaller new member class... they'd have good retention regardless.