View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
How does one create the feeling of being in a sorority (I'm assuming you mean a collegiate sorority) without being in college? I suppose I get the why, but the how seems to be pretty elusive.
Yes. If you are trying to be like a college sorority, that wont happen if your members are not in college. You wont be doing mixers with other groups. You wont be hanging around at the popular spot on campus meeting members of other groups (and maybe your own) between classes. You wont have Greek/Campus wide participation in events like Greek Week, Greek Sing, etc. You wont have (at least not for QUITE A WHILE) the networking connections/camaraderie of sisters/chapters across the nation that these groups have.

As a member of both a collegiate/NPC and a community based sorority, the experiences are very different as both offer different things and have different traditions. While a community sorority may be a great way for women to meet, network, hang out, and be a part of a group maybe they didn't have in college for whatever reason, a community based sorority/group should never be viewed as "the next best thing" to a traditional college sorority. That line of thinking/expectation will only lead to disappointment for yourself and any future recruits you may have.