View Single Post
Old 08-21-2001, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Post They're having a blast !

Round 1 has ended and this a.m. the girls face their first decision. The original group was 10, but friendships have been formed between girls from Tx, Al, and Ga. They are now 17 in size and meet for lunch or dinner to review the day. The greek system is really strong and this year, a record number of girls signed up. They are divided into apx 40 groups. The sororities(10) had to give 13 parties in order to handle the girls. The following is what little I know of their feelings and experiences. The parties were GREAT, but one had really bad accoustics and it was difficult to talk. At another, the girls felt like there wasn't enough rotation. Yes, EVERYONE asks them the same question, but "Are you nervous?" Made them laugh the most...Of COURSE they are! One party that stuck out in EVERYONES mind was ZTA. ALL the girls felt at ease and welcomed. This is in comparison with one or two houses that seemed to treat some girls differently.
My daughter's Rho Chi is "cool", but others have asked the girls "What was your favorite party?" "Which parties didn't you like?" Hate to say this, but all the girls agree the SAY NOTHING motto is the best. My daughter has shared the tips from this board with them and the results are very positive.
They are looking at the sisters, NOT the letters. They are really trying to get the feel of who they would fit in with. My daughter said. "I wish I'd get cut so I wouldn't have to decide." They ALL are afraid they will make the wrong decision. It is hard for them to remember what house did what and questions like "Who has the X and the horseshoe, who's the Hannah doll and what sorority did________?" One point worth mentioning refers to the "Big Guns" on campus. I can honestly say this group doesn't give a hill of beans about who's who, and these are the top notch girls of their high school. The names I am hearing are not what I expected. Of the "top" four on this campus, my daughter is only interested (very much so) in two,the others that have impressed her run the gambit as far as "reputation" is concerned.This is true for her friends as well. They are looking at the legacy issue, interaction between sisters and how they treat EVERY SINGLE GIRL at the parties. All this in 30 min. They want to go Greek, but have found it so easy to meet people, if they are cut, they know they will be just fine. One more thing, the majority of rushees (in their opinion) seem to be short blonds. It must be hereditary because at the parents meeting the audience was filled with lots of blond Mommies!