View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Complete side note: did you guys change your philanthropy? Or did the name just change?
side note noted

Our main philanthropy has changed a few times. For many years, Sigma Chi was the main support of the Wallace Center for Children (later the Cleo Wallace Village and now a new name) in Colorado. In the mid to late 80s, we switched to the Children's Miracle Network.

In 2012, the Huntsman Cancer Institute (founded by the Huntsman family in Utah- many of whom are Sigma Chi members) became our "preferred" philanthropy with the expressed goal of raising $11 million in 7 years (one year for each of our 7 founders).

Note the "preferred". Chapters are allowed to designate their funds to any organization they wish, but it is preferred that moneys raised during Derby Days go to the HCI. Many of the chapters will have Derby Days one semester, and a different philanthropic event another semester to raise funds for a local charity or another organization with meaning to the chapter. The chapter I used to advice did this. Derby Days in the fall (proceeds for HCI) and another event in the spring to raise money for epilepsy research in the name of a member who died from complications after an epileptic seizure.

To correct my earlier statement about the chapter at Rutgers: they had actually raised $300,000 in the last two years. However, I am of the understanding that there were issues that I am unaware of that happened with the chapter that caused the NPC groups on campus to refuse to participate in what was to have been the Derby Days events this next semester.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)