View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

First Night! I had to sit through 6 ½ hours of class with mostly excited, but definitely nervous butterflies in my stomach.

We had a break first, so we went to Starbucks where I had coffee, and consequently the entire time I was super hyper and had to use the bathroom SO badly.

First up was New York. How they called girls in was different from last year, and it really looked like they were trying to turn the house around. I talked with one of the sisters and it was alright. The next sister just talked about weird topics that I couldn’t relate to, but I tried and it never got to an awkward pause. Overall, it wasn’t as awkward as last year, but I still could never see myself feeling comfortable in this house.

When we were lining up the girls from my walking group were complaining about how tired they were, and that they weren’t super excited to be there. I was shocked how complainy they were after just the first house. From all the coffee and the water I was DYING to use the bathroom but I didn’t cause I know from GC that it is considered rude ☺

Next was London! The first sister and I just started off with a great conversation about Starbucks, and it wasn’t until the very end where we talked about the whole where are you from and what’s your major questions. It turns out we’re 20 minutes away from each other, same major, and took the same classes last year. And we were just howling laughing at how we didn’t even get to these questions. She even told me that I reminded her of a sister whom I knew who was the prettiest, nicest, most personable person on the planet. It was SUCH a great compliment!

We ran over to Tokyo. We had three walking groups here instead of two, so I was double rushed. The rusher mostly talked to me, but I also tried to include the other gal as well. This girl said I reminded her of her boyfriend’s little sister who was very bouncy, cute and fun. Another great compliment!

Next was Barcelona. I wasn’t as nervous this year at all. I was still on a high from the other houses. I went in and talked to a sister who started to complain about her day. I was surprised, but was able to turn the conversation around to how great greek life is, and how much she loved her house. She then told me about how her whole family is involved in greek life, and I told her that mine was too. She started talking about some National things, and I lit up, cause it was familiar to me. I didn’t mean too! And she asked if I knew about the sorority, and I said a little. The sister asked if I felt pressure to be in the legacy sorority and I said that my family just wanted me to go into a sorority where I felt comfortable, but that I did feel comfortable there and that the house felt like my own house (probably because the décor is the same with all the symbols around the house). A little bit awkward, but then we turned the conversation to track & field so that was good.

After debriefing I went home and immediately went to the bathroom! I had been holding it for 5 hours!

The next day we saw 4 houses and the colonizing chapter.

We firstly went to Paris. I talked to about 5 gals who were all very fun and nice. However when they were calling us in, 90% of the girls looked you up and down. Super intimidating. I didn’t get a weird feeling from them, but I still felt like I was being superficially judged.

Next was Miami. We were put into groups of two sisters and three PNM’s. I don’t know if it was because I was super tired, we were standing and I was hoping for the other PNM’s to talk more (which they didn’t) but it just didn’t feel right. There were many pauses and I hadn’t had any of those in the other houses. The sisters were still nice though, but they just didn’t shine as much as the other sororities.

Then we went to Los Angeles. I actually had a GREAT time! The two sisters I talked to were so great, and I didn’t feel any awkwardness, besides ducking out of the way of my ex-roommate.

Lastly was Rome. I found commonalities with ALL of the sisters, including one who did my sport, and another had the same summer job as me. It was very fun!

We were able to “regret” two.

My Rankings:
1. London
2. Barcelona
3. Tokyo
4. Rome
5. Paris
6. Los Angeles

And I dropped
7. Miami
8. New York