Thread: Ghetto Funerals
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedefinedDiva
I know all about ghetto, but sometimes, I can't talk about how people react. I have been known to CUT UP at a funeral. Sometimes, you get so overwhelmed that you lose all sense of reality. You don't care if you look like a fool. You just know your pain and black everyone around you out. So, I cut some folks some slack, but then there is ALWAYS someone who is really doing it just to perform and get attention.
That's very true. But you can tell who's sincerly grieving and who's doing things for show. This is not the time to be trying to win an Oscar for 'Best Performance by a Mourner'.

Quote:

Funerals vary from state to state and across cultures. I don't know about any other place, but I know in New Orleans, your body won't even be cold and stiff before folks are gathering pictures from a t-shirt. I HATE them!! I can't stand to see those people, that I know are gone, staring back at me on a tee. I've seen them for everyone from babies to old folks, who could give a dayum if they got a memorial t-shirt in their "honor." I did get one for a friend who passed away about close to three years ago, but after one wear, I threw it away. I couldn't stand a memory like that.
Yeah, those t-shirts bother me a bit.

I've seen folks with pictures of their deceased relatives on license plates on the front of their cars. Tattoes of the deceased relative bother me too. But like you said, everyone grieves in different ways.

My grandparents have both passed away, and one of my cousins made lockets with a picture of the two of them for all of my aunts and uncles to have or wear. I think that is a good idea.