Thread: Resigning
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a boss who asked me to tell him if I was ever looking for a job. It was a small office and we worked great together. I did tell him when I'd applied for a job. It was a dream job that I didn't think I'd get, but I told him anyway. I did end up getting the job (turned out to be a NIGHTMARE) but he was cool about the whole thing. I also quit a job via one page faxed resignation letter. I also quit a job while oversharing what the new job was. They don't get to know anything you don't want to share, and that's something I wish I'd known at the time. I didn't consider the two companies competitors, but they did so they had me do a very unceremonious departure so I wouldn't steal client lists, which would have been of absolutely zero benefit to me and my new job.

I do think if the original poster meant the company had a meeting to say (apparently badly) if you're having a problem, come to us so we can try to fix it before you bail, that's a perfectly good thing to say in a meeting. It just sounds like they said it so badly that people walked away with a completely different sense of the purpose. I wouldn't recommend doing what I said I did. It was a risk and I really worried about doing it, but I trusted my gut with this particular boss in this particular scenario. I don't think I'd ever do it again.