View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Great ideas, everybody! I especially like that chapter meeting idea.

My fraternity is relatively new on campus (2 years old, clean slate in terms of reptuation), and our current status is that while we're officially recognized, most of the Greeks know nothing about us beyond the fact that we exist.

However, without going into too much detail, everybody in my fraternity are in majors which are seriously underrepresented by females (~15%) and more seriously underrepresented by Greek Life (~2%), whereas the general status on campus is ~51% female and ~15% Greek. So, it's been very difficult knowing girls in class, etc. Of the few girls in other sororities we know, it's all been thru some very random encounters. Good news, however, is that albeit few, they're all very high-influence (exec board positions, social chairs).

Right now, we're trying to increase our publicity by participating in all the all-Greek events that exist, making an effort to attend every philantropy event, and boosting membership. These are areas that have been severely lacking in the past because we were focused on internal issues (eg. ensuring that the brotherhood is sustainable before anything else).