Thread: GREEK HISTORY
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2000, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Question GREEK HISTORY

I FIRST RED THIS LONG TIME AGO. IT is interesting and I thought at least 2 or 3 of you would appreciate it. It kind of gives me something tothink about- Like.. are we really supossed to treat each other the way we do?
We can all shine with our own light, but aren't we like a puzzle put together? I mean- I just think there is more toit- It is not an accident that we all have something in common-I don't know, please hit me back- This is the kind of things I am into. I was a Literature minor- It takes a different shape for me.
AGAIN- JUST ENJOY IT- I THINK IT IS DEEP ENOUGH TO SHARE WITH MY GREEK FAMILY.
In ancient Egypt, only a select few underwent a test or ritual to be eligible to write in hieroglyphs and bury the Pharaohs. In death, there were stages that the dead went through to pass to the other world. The Egyptians believed that your body and possessions went with you into the New World.
Hence, they had elaborated burial rites and Tombs(pyramids for the Pharaohs, their wives and children).
For passage into the New World, you were guided across the desert and through your
trials by the light of the moon and stars. Phi Beta Sigma is represented by the Crescent
Moon. If you followed this it would take you where you needed to go. You were guided
by the Falcon-God of the sun and the Pharaohs Horus, "High Above". After crossing the
desert, you came to a place of testing (i.e. Crossing the Burning Sands).
This place is nature and is represented by the Alpha Kappa Alpha Ivy. The Egyptian
Goddess is Qetesh who is a Semetic nature goddess worshipped in Egypt or in the book
of the Dead Sekhmet. She was recreated as a weapon of vengence to destroy men for
their wiked ways. After crossing the desert, the first thing you would come upon was the
Sphinx, the guardian of the Tomb or pyramid. The Sphinx represents Alpha Phi Alpha
Fraternity. You needed to solve the riddle of the Sphinx to pass into the tomb or pyramid.
The vessel for the passage, the Pyramid represents Delta Sigma Theta Sorority who
abides by Minerva, the Greek goddess of Wisdom. The Egyptian equivalent to Minerva is
Isis, The Throne. Isis is the goddess of Magic and the widow of Osiris or Satet, also
known as the one who shoots arrows, the elephantine goddess of the Nile floods and
fertility. You enter the pyramids where the rest of the journey is shrouded in secrecy.
Your lesson is given to you on a scroll. Kappa Alpha Phi Fraternity is represented by the
scroll. The god was Toth the Leader and the Ibis god of Wisdom, writing and the moon.
The Cat goddess Bastet was known as the Devouring Lady. She was the goddess of the
home and of the sunlight. Accordint to one myth, she was the personification of the soul
of Isis. She was also called the Lady of the East. Her counter part, the Lady of the West,
was Sekhmet who repersents Zeta Phi Beta Sorority. Sekhmet tested the soul of the dead
during the passage. After you had learned all you needed to learn and proved your
worthiness to Bastet, you were ready for the ultimate test.
The major organs were removed during mummification. At this point, you presented your
heart to Maat who represents Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority. Maat measured against the
feather on her scales. If your heart weighed more than the feather you could not proceed
on to the afterlife.
Finally, you met Anubis known as the Royal Child and was god of mummification
embalming. Anubis had the head of a jackal, which is a type of dog and represents
Omega Psi Phi. He assisted in the ritesby which a dead man was admitted to the
underworld. Anubis was worshipped as the inventor of embalming abd who embalmed
the Dead Osiris and thereby helping to perserve him that he might live again. It is said
that the final test of the rites of passage was physical and given by Anubis.