View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Realistically, "you'll end up where you were meant to" is the same sort of cliche as "Hindsight is 20/20."

In other words, s***t happens. Recruitment is competitive. You could be cut for your grades, your year in school, lack of sponsor recommendations, a "do not bid this girl" warning from an alumna, being someone else's legacy, your lack of activities/involvement, your social reputation in high school or college, your attitude, your personality, maybe even something like not looking like you fit in from *horrors* the way you dress yourself to the way you take care of yourself, or any number of factors that will never be explained to you because membership selection is private and any records are shredded following recruitment.

You're never going to get accurate feedback into why you were cut. It sucks. It's easier to get a bid on certain campuses than on others.

But at the end of the day, I hope you have better reasons for being at your university than joining a sorority.

And I hope you know that those girls who got into sororities are going to experience rejection and disappointment in their lives, too. And at some point, you may go through this again when you apply to grad school or a new job, get passed over for a student leadership position or a promotion at work.

As our moms always say, "Sometimes life just isn't fair."

It's hard to accept the consolation "I'm sorry you didn't get into a sorority, but there are lots of ways to make your college experience special" when you had your heart set on getting into a sorority, but sometimes life just plays out that way.

So yes, at the end of the day, you will end up where you were meant to be. It's kind of like finding a lost of set of keys-- they're always in the last place you look.

It's disappointing to be cut from a top choice or to not get what you want, but every person on this earth goes through that kind of disappointment at some point in our lives. Even Paris Hilton.

Cheer up!