View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I love all of these ideas!

When I was an undergrad, we also went through a little bit of a slump one year. Several of us were very interested in getting the house back in the game, so to speak. We, as undergrads, worked hard to get members involved with meetings by having fun activities.

Sisterhood meetings:
-Chubby Bunny contest (where you stuff as many marshmallows in your mouth as possible and try to say "Chubby Bunny", it sounds stupid, but everyone winds up laughing hysterically).
-Another sisterhood meeting we painted rocks and made a rock garden that still exists.

Every quarter we had several study marathons that offered food, prizes, lots of quiet time, and the inevitable dance party around midnight (just when you're getting silly off the studying).

Outside activities:
We turned everything into a competition. We always wanted to win another chapter's philanthropy, have the most people at an event, have the highest GPA. It's amazing how excited people get when there's a competitive aspect involved, even if it's just for the sake of house pride.

Scheduling:
Maybe the chapter is a little burnt out? It can be hard to juggle chapter responsibilities when you have chapter meeting one night of the week, a social event another night, and an optional event on a third night. At my school, it was relatively common to have social events on Monday nights after meeting. It also helps bring women to meeting in the first place, especially if there's a surprise aspect (they don't know who it's with or the theme, etc. until meeting).

Retreat:
The absolute best retreat I ever went to was an all-weekend retreat where we stayed in some (large) cabins in the mountains. It was relatively inexpensive, and there was lots of together time. Lots of fun, cheap activities: design little paper bags to hold "love notes" from your sisters (other sisters then write notes about how wonderful you are and drop them in your bag all weekend, like valentines); have each class make up a song/dance/rewrite the lyrics to a song and make it Gamma Phi; games; goal-setting; bragging time; learn all the songs that the younger members don't know; learn flip-flop; etc.

Get a couple of actives on-board:
Maybe you can spearhead a "Chapter Improvement" committee and ask for volunteers who want to help the chapter in any way. Some women will want to focus on recruitment, others on sisterhood, etc. At least then you have your girls who are dedicated right in front of you, even if they are new members or don't hold positions.

Contests
Make up some kind of contest in the chapter with a cool prize. Maybe the member who attends the most Greek events in a month, etc.

Hope this helps!!