View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Add to this fraternities that are under close scrutiny by their HQ's for other reasons, or who didn't make grades last semester, and I totally agree.
Let's just put it this way. I even know of a fraternity that had TWO voting sessions one rush when nationals sent out an adviser. One when he was awake, and a secret one when he went to sleep. During the first, they talked about grades/leadership/involvement. During the second, they talked about what they really cared about: is this kid fun, is he going to bring around girls, do we like him, is he good at sports, etc.

As I've read posts on this board, it seems like most (if not all) sororities have built in points for grades. Maybe the girl gets extra points in membership selection if her GPA is above a certain standard, maybe the bid list is ordered by GPA, if her GPA is low she gets cut automatically, whatever. Fraternities don't have any of these (to my knowledge) and voting is largely based on chapter decisions, not national guidelines. I have never, ever, ever heard of a guy being denied a bid based on his low GPA if the chapter wanted him. Also, I have never once heard of a kid's high GPA being brought up as a positive during voting. (Colonies excepted). So when guys get on this forum and talk about their GPA, and all these GCers come out of the woodwork and talk about "Well, maybe you were cut because you were a grade risk", I think it's just as misguided as me giving advice about SEC sorority rush. It's very safe to assume your grades played little, if any, part in being cut when rushing 95% of the fraternities out there.