View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
OP - there will be a place on your application to list family relationships to sororities. There has been much discussion over whether listing these relationships helps or hurts. (Hurts in that there is a possibility that some chapters will release you because they assume that you want to pledge the relative's sorority.) I can see both sides of the argument, and without knowing you or your school cannot give an opinion on your situation.
Last year, my sister went through rush but decided it wasn't for her (she's attending the same school I hope to). When she filled out the recruitment registration form it didn't have a spot for family Greek members. It only a spot for legacies and under that it had a place for either your Mother, Grandmother, or Sisters name. So what would I do then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
So I agree with the above posters when they say to get a rec from your Aunt. And be sure to get recs to all the other chapters too. Since you have a year and a half of HS left, you have plenty of time to build up that resume, gain leadership experience, make good grades, and have fun!
How soon is too soon to start looking for recommendations? Five out of the eleven chapters at the school I plan on attending, I have no connections with any alumnae. Would it be rude to ask my teachers and staff at my school if they know any sorority members or alumnae?

Thanks, you've been a lot of help.