View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embeedancer View Post
I am currently a sophomore at a private university with a small Greek community. I participated in rush twice, the first time not accepting a bid as I did not feel I fit in with that particular group, and the second being completely cut halfway through. I very much wanted Greek life to be a part of my undergrad experience after seeing how positive my parents relationships still are with their brothers/sisters, and hearing about the traditions. However, I have come to realize that Greek life at my college is not the same as it was for my parents at their large state school. The fact that my recommendations meant little here and many other factors have led me to realize that going Greek as an undergrad is just not in the cards for me. However, I still really do want that experience of joining a sisterhood, participating in traditions, and joining a lifelong network of talented and genuine women
I am posting here because I came across a few threads about alumnae induction and the possibility of going Greek as a grad student. I want to know how these processes work and if there is anything I can or should do now to see if I can join the right organization for me after I graduate. Again, while I am sad to miss out on the undergrad experience, I have also always been interested in the post-grad Greek experience and if there is a chance to join then I would be remiss if I did not try.
A couple details about my situation: I am a legacy for ZTA (my mom) though they did not have a chapter at my school and as I said before I never really fit with the chapters we do have. Can anyone comment on their policy for grad students or alumnae induction? If I can't have the undergrad experience I would certainly love to continue a family tradition (my aunt was also a zeta) in my adult life. Of course I would also be interested in other national organizations particularly with active alumnae involvement!
Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer
It sounds like you really want the undergrad sorority experience, the traditions, events bonding occurs in college typically. Yes alumni involvement is enjoyable and special in its own way, but it's nothing like the "typical" undergrad Greek experience.

If yyou're so interested in being a ZTA member ask your mom and aunt for help.